Kristy's Reviews > Scandalous Desires

Scandalous Desires by Elizabeth Hoyt

2079018
Aug 04, 12

bookshelves: 2012, app-kindle, ebook, historical-love, hott-spots, loved-it, mystery-suspense, yay-quotes
Read from July 12 to 13, 2012 — I own a copy

I fell in love with this series. I couldn't get enough of it. So much in fact that I didn't take the time to stop and review between books. I would finish one book and then buy the next book and immediately start reading it. So NOW I can't really do a good review. I'll just do a summary. One of the best parts about this series are additional stories that are told at the top of each chapter. I've been tempted to skip reading them until the end and then just read it straight through because I get caught up in those stories too and can't wait to get to the next chapter to find out what happens next.

OK, on to the summary...

Widowed Silence Hollingbrook is broken. She made a huge mistake 9 months earlier, in trying to save her husband's career, that cost her her marriage and her reputation. The one thing that lights up Silence's world is the baby that was left on her doorstep.

River Pirate Mickey O'Connor is ruthless and doesn't lose a wink of sleep over the lives he has taken. He has hardened himself in order to climb to the top of the criminal world. But he can't seem to forget about the young widow he ruined 9 months ago, Silence. After finding out he was a father and that the mother had died he sent his baby to Silence. Knowing that she would love the baby and through that love be connected to him. But when his enemies get wind of the baby and Silence, Mickey does the one thing he can to keep them safe, he makes them live under his roof so he can keep watch over them himself.

I was so excited to read this book. The author has been setting up this story from the first book and I was so intrigued I couldn't wait to get to it. I loved it. I loved reading and watching Mickey slowly soften and fall in love with Silence.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FAVORITE QUOTES

"Me other purpose in comin' was to ask ye to attend me supper tonight. No" -he cut her of as she was about to reply- "don't give me yer answer now. Jus'...think on it will ye? Please?"

She stared. Had Mickey O'Connor ever begged anyone in his entire life?

He grinned, quick and rueful. "Oh, aye, the pigs'll be flyin' today, so I've heard."

~Mickey

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"There, there, sweetin'," he murmured into her hair.

"He loved me, he truly did," she gasped.

"I know he did," Michael said.

"And I loved him."

"Mm-hmm."

She raised her head, glaring angrily. "You don't even believe in love. Why are you agreeing with me?"

He laughed.

"Because"-he leaned down and licked at the tears on her cheeks, his lips brushing softly against her sensitive skin as he spoke, "ye've bewitched and bespelled me, my sweet Silence, didn't ye know? I'll agree that the sky is pink, that the moon is made o' marzipan and sugared raisins, and the mermaids swim the muddy waters o' the Thames, if ye'll only stop weepin'. Me chest breaks apart and gapes wide open when I see tears in yer pretty eyes. Me lungs, me liver, and me heart cannot stand to be thus exposed."

~ Silence and Mickey (Michael)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Will you lie with me, Michael O'Connor?"

He rose to look at her and she thought she saw something close to love in his black eyes. "If I were at death's door I'd stand and come to you."

~Silence and Mickey

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scandalous Desires.