Donna's Reviews > The Story of Beautiful Girl

F 50x66
Aug 04, 2012

liked it
Read in July, 2012

I'm beginning to think I'm one of the fussiest readers ever. I'm being generous with giving this 3 stars, because I really struggled to finish this. The book can be cut in half, the first half creating a somewhat plausible storyline and the engaging me in the saga. The second half spun into a crazy quilt, seemingly arranged to bring about the Lifetime Movie ending.

There is no question that the warehousing of 'different' children was terrible in the past of this nation. And the author is to be praised for bringing this to our attention with such a lovely plot. But I would have expected a more realistic unfolding than Simon seems capable of, given her experience with her own sister. Simon makes her characters superhuman; all it takes for them to conquer their sizable disabilities is the right kind of intervention from the right person. Lynnie not only becomes a prolific artist with apparently excellent fine motor skills, but she catches up with her speech and has the intellectual ability and emotional maturity to be an exceptional person capable of some remarkable skills at planning and then executing those plans. Homan is profoundly deaf and illiterate, but with the right intervention, learns to sign, then read, then invent and market something that makes him financially comfortable.

The author brilliantly illustrated the plight of her sister in her previous book. She also chronicled the frustration of trying to work with the myriad gaps that those with intellectual disablities present. If all it took was patient intervention, wouldn't everything be just peachy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Story of Beautiful Girl.

02/02/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy I'm so glad to see someone else felt the author went from plausible and interesting to convoluted, forced, and smarmy. What a disappointment. :(