Casey Brown's Reviews > The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

Aug 04, 12

bookshelves: mystery, thriller
Read in August, 2012

Larsson's first novel in the Millennium series is first and foremost a condemnation of violence against women. The literal translation of the Swedish title is Men Who Hate Women. That is my only warning to the unwary reader.

The book weaves an elaborate mystery around the disappearance of a young girl from a notable capitalist family. The Vanger family has deep dark secrets even from each other. The journalist, Blomkvist, has problems of his own with another corporate empire, the Wennerstrom Group. When Henrik Vanger, who has a history with Hans-Erik Wennerstrom, offers Blomkvist the ammunition he needs to redeem his journalistic credibility, Blomkvist takes a year contract to look into the disappearance or murder of Harriet Vanger. His research assistant, Salander, is an intelligent and complicated character who plays as much a role in the investigation as he does.

When I got down to the last hundred pages, I knew I needed to reserve the next book in the series at my library. I'm looking forward to reading more about this duo in the following books.