Emma Sea's Reviews > The Square Peg

The Square Peg by Jane Davitt

Aug 07, 12

bookshelves: bdsm, hurt-comfort
Read on August 07, 2012

3.5 stars: 3 for the story and MCs, an extra half star for the rough sex and face-slapping.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Square Peg.

08/07/2012
32.0% "Am I supposed to hate Ben? Because I hate him."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sarah I had to re register my account. Boo. Means I don't have access to all my old books which is really rubbish! I managed to buy it. Maybe try and re register?

message 2: by Emma Sea (last edited Aug 07, 2012 12:32AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Emma Sea Sarah wrote: "I had to re register my account. Boo. Means I don't have access to all my old books which is really rubbish! I managed to buy it. Maybe try and re register?"

Oh, good idea.

EDIT: Yes, that worked. Thanks!

message 3: by Ery (new)

Ery Ok that title just dies weird things to my brain. Pegs aren't supposed to be square! It's too strange!

Emma Sea Erica wrote: "Ok that title just dies weird things to my brain. Pegs aren't supposed to be square! It's too strange!"

I think you're about 10 years too young to remember this show, but Square Pegs with Sarah Jessica Parker was the first media influence I remember that told me it was OK not to be one of the popular kids. I feel very grateful to the creators.

Monique ~ Sinfully Sexy Book Reviews I hope this is good......look forward to seeing what you think of it...:D

message 6: by Emma Sea (last edited Aug 07, 2012 06:33AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Emma Sea Monique wrote: "I hope this is good......look forward to seeing what you think of it...:D"

It was good, and I liked it, but it's not Bound and Determined.

Monique ~ Sinfully Sexy Book Reviews Love the half star for rough sex and face slapping, I must remember that one!!

Just bought Bound and Determined, thought I had finished making the most on the discount code for fictionwise!!!!

Leanne You're right- not as good as Bound and Determined but I really enjoyed it--and the rough kinky sex ;P
Jilly Cooper wrote a short story years ago called Square Peg which I read over and over in my teens. Always had a soft spot for that phrase :P

Emma Sea Leanne wrote: "You're right- not as good as Bound and Determined but I really enjoyed it--and the rough kinky sex ;P"

(view spoiler)

Leanne I know- it made me grr too--but the poor guy was so freaked out!! Shane was just gorgeous though, wasn't he? All tough and cool but, as you say, with that soft delicious centre....yummy.

Emma Sea Leanne wrote: "I know- it made me grr too--but the poor guy was so freaked out!! Shane was just gorgeous though, wasn't he? All tough and cool but, as you say, with that soft delicious centre....yummy."

(view spoiler)

Leanne Aww...you're right. That would have been perfect!

message 13: by Eve (new) - added it

Eve Erica wrote: "Ok that title just dies weird things to my brain. Pegs aren't supposed to be square! It's too strange!"

lol! It's worse for me - there's a woman named Margaret in my office who goes by "Peg" ..and she is extremely round...it's hard to picture anything but her being silly-puttied into a square.

MandyM Uh oh! I was just about to review this and I was going to take stars off for the face slapping/punching. lol. I should have stopped with J.A. Rock. I think that's more my speed.;)

Emma Sea MandyM wrote: "Uh oh! I was just about to review this and I was going to take stars off for the face slapping/punching. lol. I should have stopped with J.A. Rock. I think that's more my speed.;)"

Yeah, for a generalist m/m it's pretty full-on. The face-slapping will be a make or break with a lot of people I think. Ben really pushes the humiliation angle.

message 16: by MandyM (last edited Aug 09, 2012 02:02AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

MandyM I know I'm biased when it comes to BDSM books but I really had problems when Ben slapped/punched Shane in the face for just interacting with someone he was serving drinks to. I mean I can totally understand that a submissive could get off on that but in THIS book I don't think those roles were well characterised. I didn't buy Ben as a Dom. All that wailing and remorse after he had rough sex with Shane. He seemed like a total girl. Not like a Dom. Sometimes I'm confused about whether I don't like a bdsm book because it's too much for me or because it's just badly written. In this case I'm leaning more towards badly written. I didn't see the sexual tension or attraction. They had no interaction apart from a couple of rough humps on the floor then they were declaring eternal monogamy and going bareback at about 30%?? I just didn't get it.:(

Emma Sea MandyM wrote: " All that wailing and remorse after he had rough sex with Shane. He seemed like a total girl. "

Ugh, you said it! I am not a Ben fan.

I liked the theme of the run-down gay bar in a post-industrial section of the city going through gentrification. I liked Shane a lot, and I wish he'd had a better partner. Like, Ben for starters, but with another character in the story as well, so Shane realises he deserves better and finds true love with the second guy.

MandyM Yes I totally agree about the set up of the bar and the local community. That was what attracted me and kept me reading. And Shane was very appealing.

message 19: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Belleau I'll just be over here in love with you because you bumped it up a half star for sex and face slapping LOL