Mark Fallon's Reviews > Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us

Drive by Daniel H. Pink

Aug 04, 2012

Read in July, 2012

For years, I’ve been railing against “pay for performance” programs, advising clients and audiences to focus their energies on creating a culture of excellence for their organizations. Most of the time, it felt like tilting at windmills, as people stuck to a tired principle which demeans employees. Next time I have this argument, I’ll be carrying a copy of Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us, by Daniel Pink.

Pink draws on over 4 decades of research to dismiss the old claims about what motivates people (e.g., fear, pay, etc.) and builds a new model of motivation. Dubbed “Motivation 3.0”, Pink explains that behavior is fueled more by intrinsic desires, and not extrinsic factors. By focusing on 3 elements – autonomy, mastery and purpose – people can transform into “Type I” performers.

The book includes a tool kit for leaders and individuals to improve themselves and their organizations. And like most of my favorite authors, Pink provides a list of books and authors that have inspired and taught him.

A good book to read....and to share.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drive.