Deniz's Reviews > Girl of Nightmares

Oct 25, 2013

it was ok
bookshelves: meh
Read from August 07 to 12, 2012

This has been rather heart-sore from me on many levels. Firstly I wish I could have given this a better rating. But the first half of the book was very slow and I on several occasions was about to give up and forget about the books. Only a couple of friends assurances that it will get better towards the end and the fact that I hate not finishing books kept me going, barely.

The first half of the book was tedious and frustrating for me. After Anna dress in blood I wasn't a fan of Cas, and that was ok. But the first half of girl of nightmares , he was my nightmare! He was obnoxious,arrogant and self-centered like in the first book but he also whined continuously. I found it unbearable add to that the slow paste of the story and you get something that is insufferable to me.

Which brings me to the second reason that i found this so heart-sore. Blake is a very talented writer. She honestly is amazing with words. i totally enjoyed Anna 1 and her use of language made it not only an immense pleasure to read but it for me covered any flaws the books had. Sadly in this book, it wasn't enough. I still think she is very talented and am looking forward to reading more of her work. I wish just for that I could have given her more stars, but it is one the reasons I rounded my rating up to 3stars.

The characters were again well written.Cas again came through much older than 17 for me. He did really annoy me and I found he behaved like a spoiled kid half the time. But the worst thing for me what the whining and self-pity.
Anna was not really much part of the book, which is a shame since I think she is totally fabulous.
Thomas and Carmel were great support characters again. I actually liked when Carmel changed her mind in-between, since I wouldn't have bought the prom queen to i don't care about any of it route.

The first half of the book did in some long wound way explain a few things that were left open at the end of the first book.
The second half of the book was much better. And there were some witty scenes in there that made me laugh like

'Thomas looks tired enough to kill me, hollow me out, and use me for a hammock'

'His smug face sets me off, and I think very loudly, This mind-reading shit is fucking annoying, and he grins'

'"Put something down over the seat,” Burke says, and I’m this close to laying him out. But Thomas needs help, so I shut up and walk to the car'

Suddenly there was the spark and humor back that i loved so much in the first book. it was like reading a totally different book!
And the last four chapters were superb. I loved everything about them. Those would have gotten at least 4.5 stars from me.
I did feel that most my questions were answered.
The reason for Anna and Cas bond was never fully explained, I guess we will have to go with the big L
this is the only thing that came close to explain it

(view spoiler)

The fact that Cas mentioned only twice through both books that he loved Anna, sort of made me dislike him even more. If someone has such a strong connection to someone, that they are bound together in the way the two of them were, it shouldn't be such an odd and awkward thing to name it (even in his thoughts he didn't do it!)

Having loved the first book, but been left with a few questions, this book certainly did answer many of them. But I am wondering if it wouldn't have been better to make a longer standalone book rather than writing this second book.

All in all, I fell sad that it didnt deliver what I'd hoped from it. But after a bad start it got better and better. Blake is a superb writer and I am hoping for many more books from her!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girl of Nightmares.

08/07/2012
20.0% "hmm not so sure about it so far..."
08/08/2012
30.0% "What happened to Cas, he is whinning ALL the time! bleh"
08/09/2012
30.0% "ok. i am giving this a break for a day or too
i just cant seem to get on with it but i am not ready to give up yet."
08/10/2012
41.0% "tortured myself through another 3 chapters"
08/10/2012
41.0% "http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7w9h4..."
08/11/2012
50.0% "Thomas looks tired enough to kill me, hollow me out, and use me for a hammock"
08/11/2012
51.0% "His smug face sets me off, and I think very loudly, This mind-reading shit is fucking annoying, and he grins"
75.0% "uh-huh! FINALLY!!"
08/11/2012
76.0% "“Put something down over the seat,” Burke says, and I’m this close to laying him out. But Thomas needs help, so I shut up and walk to the car." 2 comments
08/12/2012
82.0% "" “I don’t know,” I say. Why did I say that? I do know. I knew it the moment I heard Anna’s name, and the first time she spoke. I knew when I walked out of her house with my insides still on the inside. It was admiration, and understanding. I’d never known anything like it, and neither had she. ""
show 2 hidden updates…