Elisabeth's Reviews > The Witch Of Portobello

The Witch Of Portobello by Paulo Coelho

Jul 24, 09

Recommended to Elisabeth by: Book Club
Read in January, 2009

I really wanted to like this because I have many friends who love, love, love Paulo Coelho, but it just didn't do anything for me. I know that his books tend to be more esoteric and less plot-driven...but even diving into it with those expectations, I still found it stiff and somewhat superficial. I was anxious to read a book that explores "the female face of God" (as it had been described to me), but this book seemed to only skim the surface of that subject matter, when it seemed to me that it could have gone much deeper. This was my first foray into Coelho, and I'm not prepared to give up entirely. I've heard The Alchemist has been life-changing for some people...perhaps I should try that one next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Witch Of Portobello.

message 1: by Jeanette (last edited Jan 26, 2009 12:34AM) (new)

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" I read The Alchemist, and I wasn't wowed by Coelho either. "Superficial" is absolutely right. The writing is fine, but it was like something I would have loved to have the teacher read to us when I was in the 4th grade. Kind of sappy, New-Agey, follow your dreams kind of stuff. But---I'm glad it's helpful for others. We all need whatever boost we can get.

As for "the female face of God"? Just look in the mirror!! ;-)

Elisabeth Man, it sounds like I'm going to have pass on The Alchemist then. You and pretty much everyone in my book club have now told me that it isn't much better. Ah, well. Many other books to read. :)

Telling me to look in the mirror to see the female face of God is one of the most wonderful things that's been said to me in a long time...looks like I did get something out of this book. Thanks, Jeanette. ;)