Corny's Reviews > Serena

Serena by Ron Rash

M 50x66
Nov 26, 08

Read in November, 2008

This a Greek tragedy complete with Greek Chorus, set in North Carolina during the Depression. The author is obviously very familiar with the area which now makes up the Great Smokies and tells his story against the background of the National Park Movement. His protagonist is an Electra-like Amazon whose ambition and ruthlessness seem limitless. No one escapes her wrath. In fact, she seemed so one dimensional that her actions were always predictable.
On the other hand, her husband, a much better drawn character shares many of her traits, but also seems to have a conscience, which eventually leads to problems.
The best of the this book is the Greek Chorus of lumbermen who comment on the events around them with varying degrees of sagacity. I found myself looking forward to their conversations more than the plot.

Although the ending is predictable, the descriptions of everyday life during these difficult times and the aforementioned lumbermen's commentaries made this book a "good read" for me. The pace is not quick but the plot is secondary to the examination of pure evil that forms the central theme of the book.
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Serena.

Jeffrey I too enjoyed the Greek Chorus technique.