Barbara's Reviews > Whispers Under Ground

Whispers Under Ground by Ben Aaronovitch

Aug 04, 2012

bookshelves: sf, re-reading
Read from February 08 to 10, 2017 , read count: 2

I'd say it was worth the wait, except that might encourage Ben to take as long again to write book #4.

This book had everything I enjoyed so much about the earlier ones. Peter Grant is just as much a cheeky bugger as ever and just as inclined to get fascinated by side issues as with regular policing. The plot is intriguing and the dialogue amusing. The city of London is a vividly described as ever.

It is really a character in its own right. So much so, that when I was recently on holiday in London I was able to spend a day touring many of the places mentioned in this series. However, I have to report that as far as I could see there is nothing written on the bums of the lions in Trafalgar Square. Also, you can't buy a bento anywhere on New Row. However, to my eternal delight I did see a policeman in uniform, complete with helmet, talking to someone and taking down notes in the portico of St Paul's at Covent Garden.

One minor quibble with this book, beside him taking so damn long to write it, was that I felt that the character of the FBI agent was under-utilised. I was expecting her to make more trouble.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Whispers Under Ground.