Nonny's Reviews > Silence

Silence by Michelle Sagara

Aug 04, 12

it was ok
bookshelves: dnf, 2012-books, 2-stars, dark-fantasy, demons, death, disability, fantasy, what-the-hell-did-i-just-read, ya-urban-fantasy, young-adult
Read in August, 2012

I really wanted to like this book but it just didn't gel with me.

The premise is really cool, and I was drawn in by the first quarter or so of the book, but once Eric is introduced, there is so much left unexplained. It comes in pretty early that Eric is supposed to kill Emma, but there's... no reason given. He and Chase TELL her that they're going to and only give the vaguest explanation -- because she's a Necromancer.

There's a scene with a rival Necromancer, but it isn't really shown why he is evil. It feels like, we're supposed to KNOW he is, so there's no real reason to explain it. It feels the same way for why Eric is supposed to kill Emma, and it feels like the author deliberately omitted information -- ostensibly for conflict but it just felt artificial.

Since we spend part of the time in Eric's POV, it especially doesn't make sense. I can see him not wanting to tell Emma everything but in his POV anything specific is deliberately avoided. It just felt fake to me, like there is going to be some Big Reveal, but the constant beating around the bush annoyed me enough that I just put it down.

I do have to give her props for including a character with Aspergers. As somebody probably on the spectrum, it's nice to see such a character. I felt that some of the information was infodumped too much, and multiple of the characters basically acted as his "guardian" and almost as ambassadors to the outside world, which... I have mixed feelings about. I performed a similar role with my sister, but I also would like to see more active roles for characters with disabilities (Michael is low functioning enough it could arguably be considered a disability).

IDK, I liked some of the aspects but it just didn't work for me.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silence.