Erica's Reviews > All Quiet On The Western Front

All Quiet On The Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque

Nov 08, 13

bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read from November 06 to 08, 2013

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All Quiet On The Western Front.

Quotes Erica Liked

Erich Maria Remarque
“But now, for the first time, I see you are a man like me. I thought of your hand-grenades, of your bayonet, of your rifle; now I see your wife and your face and our fellowship. Forgive me, comrade. We always see it too late. Why do they never tell us that you are poor devils like us, that your mothers are just as anxious as ours, and that we have the same fear of death, and the same dying and the same agony--Forgive me, comrade; how could you be my enemy?”
tags: war

Erich Maria Remarque
“This book is to be neither an accusation nor a confession, and least of all an adventure, for death is not an adventure to those who stand face to face with it. It will try simply to tell of a generation of men who, even though they may have escaped shells, were destroyed by the war.”

Erich Maria Remarque
“We are not youth any longer. We don’t want to take the world by storm. We are fleeing. We fly from ourselves. From our life. We were eighteen and had begun to love life and the world; and we had to shoot it to pieces.”

11/06/2013 marked as: currently-reading