Wendy's Reviews > Drawing Free

Drawing Free by Elena Aitken

Aug 05, 12

bookshelves: authorsihavemet, fiction, e-book, 2012
Read in August, 2012

** spoiler alert ** I picked this book up because I absolutely understand wanting to get away from everything and just being alone for a while, to catch my breath and figure out what's important. Becca has more than ample reason for wanting to get away, and I was intrigued to see where she went, and what she did when she got there, to find her way back (because I had absolutely no doubt that she would return to her life with her troublesome children, distant husband, and increasingly forgetful father).

The narrative magic didn't really start, for me, until Becca got to Rainbow Valley and met Sheena. I could tell immediately that this was going to be an important relationship, and I wasn't wrong, though I underestimated its full importance.

[SPOILER] Marital infidelity is a tricky subject to portray sympathetically, and I confess I lost a bit of respect for Becca when, after having turned her husband away for months, hating her post-two-children body, and having lost her nut over the gift of sexy lingerie, she so readily fell - repeatedly - into bed with almost a perfect stranger. Attraction and desire are perfectly understandable, but I was disappointed when Becca acted on them, rather than turning the emotional reawakening into a way of reconnecting with her husband. I also didn't really care for Jason, the guy she fell into bed with. I don't care for characters who sexually pursue people they know are married; it's a selfish, self-serving behaviour. Thank goodness Becca saw Jason for what he was, eventually; that redeemed her a little bit for me.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drawing Free.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dee I felt the same way as you on the (view spoiler) - i wish there had been a warning somewhere about it