Cat's Reviews > Clockwise

Clockwise by Elle Strauss

F_50x66
Aug 04, 12

Read from August 03 to 04, 2012

After another of Elle Strauss' titles, I decided to (finally) read this book, which has been sitting on my Kindle for awhile. While I didn't enjoy this book as much as Seaweed, I definitely think it is worth reading.

The main character is pretty much your typical teenager, though she's apparently actually pretty, albeit tall. She also has to deal with this crazy power of being able to time travel. Unfortunately she has no control over when it happens, how long she'll be gone, or when she'll come back. Talk about intense. Luckily when she does travel back in time, she finds a family nearby that is super generous and friendly.

I liked that the author was very descriptive and goes to the trouble of explaining the time period - not just vague "this building doesn't exist in our time anymore, it was demolished" but real abolitionist, slavery, North vs. South stuff. Not too deep, but enough for you to get the feel of it. Also, she addresses the issues that come with time traveling: clothing, the way you speak, knowledge, family life, etc. Casey does her best to alter herself to fit the time period (luckily she always travels to the same time & place), but that does mean having to life a double life. The author has a realistic portrayal of Casey's life, filled with problems not just as a teenager at school (being unpopular, feeling unpretty), but also of her home life (her parents, her brother).

For me, the negatives of this book were the typos, and that I felt sometimes the language wasn't appropriate for the audience this book is directed for (i.e. using the word indiscretion). The good news is this book is still worth reading! I'm looking forward to the next book, especially since not all the mysteries have been solved!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clockwise.