Kristy's Reviews > Notorious Pleasures

Notorious Pleasures by Elizabeth Hoyt

2079018
Aug 04, 12

bookshelves: 2012, app-kindle, ebook, historical-love, hott-spots, loved-it, yay-quotes
Read from July 10 to 11, 2012 — I own a copy

I fell in love with this series. I couldn't get enough of it. So much in fact that I didn't take the time to stop and review between books. I would finish one book and then buy the next book and immediately start reading it. So NOW I can't really do a good review. I'll just do a summary. One of the best parts about this series are additional stories that are told at the top of each chapter. I've been tempted to skip reading them until the end and then just read it straight through because I get caught up in those stories too and can't wait to get to the next chapter to find out what happens next.

OK, on to the summary...

Lady Hero Batten, the beautiful sister of the Duke of Wakefield, is engaged to be married. The man she is engaged to is the perfect gentleman. Perfectly boring. But Lady Hero, was brought up to be a proper young lady and has always stayed out of scandal. She has an excellent reputation. Her world is thrown into chaos when she meets her fiancé's rogue brother, Griffin Remmington, Lord Reading. Griffin is about as opposite from Hero as can be. She's good, he's bad. She has morals, he is amoral. Her brother helps make the laws and Griffin seems to be breaking the law. Griffin and his brother do not get along ever since his brother's wife confessed to having an affair with Griffin on her death bed. Hero and Griffin do not get along either. They constantly argue, sparks fly every time they are together, but soon those sparks ignite a flame within them both that they can't deny.

Griffin and Hero have to have one of the most memorable first meetings in all the books I have read. The book starts out with a bang, literally. It's a funny scene.

I also remember that Griffin was a rogue with a wild, carefree reputation, but as the story unfolds you realize he is not so carefree. Yes, he is a little wild. But he was very passionate. He felt deeply for Hero and it killed me when he would try to tell her how much he cared for her and she wouldn't reciprocate. In some of the scenes where they are together, there is an underlying sadness in the things he says and does because he wants her and knows he can't have her. It was so bitter sweet. And I loved it! Made for a great book.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FAVORITE QUOTES

"[...] He didn't seem like a murderer-he actually helped."

"Perhaps he only murders at night," Griffin said lightly.

"Or when not in a crowd," Megs added.

"Mondays," Huff said.

Griffin looked at him. "What about Mondays?"

"Maybe he only murders on Mondays," Huff said in a burst of verbosity. "Takes the rest of the week on holiday as it were."

"Huff, you are a genius." Griffin stared at his brother-in-law with admiration. "A murderer who only kills on Mondays! Why, one would be completely safe from Tuesday to Sunday."

Huff shrugged modestly. "Except for the other murderers."

But this was too much for Caro. She snorted like an enraged cow. "Nonsense! What would a ghost be doing running about St. Giles in a harlequin's motley if he isn't killing people?"

Griffin raised his wineglass solemnly. "Once again you've debated us into the ground, Caro. I bow from the field of elocution, bloody and defeated."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"It doesn't matter anyway. This entire discussion is moot. I've already informed Hero that she will be marrying your brother on Sunday. And if you haven't given up your still by then, no doubt I will be visiting you with my soldiers very soon thereafter."

He picked up a piece of paper from his desk. The interview was obviously over.

Today was Wednesday. Sunday was only four days away. Griffin took one step toward the big desk and swiped his arm across the entire top. Pens, papers, books, a small marble bust, and a gold inkwell all crashed to the floor.

Griffin leaned across the desk, his arms braced on the now clear top, and stared into Wakefield's outraged eyes. "We seem to be under a confusion of communication. I did not come here to ask for your sister's hand. I came to tell you I will marry Hero, with or without your permission, Your Grace. She has lain with me more than once. She may well be carrying my child. And if you think that I'll give up either her or our babe, you have not done nearly enough research into my character or history."

Griffin pushed himself off the desk before the other man could utter a word and strode out the door.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Notorious Pleasures.