Maria's Reviews > Empire

Empire by Orson Scott Card

F_50x66
Nov 23, 08

Read in November, 2008

I've read reams of science fiction over the years, but this is the first Orson Scott Card book I've read. Odd for a sci-fi geek I know, but it just worked out that way. A friend gave me the book. What that means is that I had no prior bias when I read the book. I knew nothing about the author's politics or how good/bad any prior books are, so I'm basing my review on the actual story and my thoughts while reading it.

It became obvious early on that it was a "right leaning" story, but plenty of authors have played devil's advocate in their work so I just wasn't sure if it was a statement on the author's politics, and even if it was, so what? It was refreshing to read a story from that viewpoint. Some of the plot elements were barely plausible, some of the coincidences too convenient, many questions remain unanswered and it seemed to me as I was reading it that it was a Hollywood blockbuster action movie on the pages; long on action and special effects and short on substance.

In that light, it was a damn fun read and impossible to take that seriously. In fact, what could have been a serious theme became too much of a caricature to merit serious consideration, despite plenty of stilted conversation about the intracacies of red and blue state politics. It was a lot like reading the science fiction of the fifties, or even Ben Bova, who writes a smashing good story even when his characters are a little flat. Card makes excellent points about extremists and moderates in the Afterward, but that's not exactly part of the story.

Worth a read as a fun, fast paced story. Don't read too much into the politics, though it's pretty sure to piss off entrenched liberals who don't appreciate the view from the other side.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Empire.