Bill Mazzola's Reviews > The Drop

The Drop by Michael Connelly

Aug 04, 12

Read from August 03 to 04, 2012

I really think Michael Connelly is the best crime novelist out there. Like a fine wine, both he and Harry Bosch seem to get better with age. And I think that's the key - Harry doesn't exist in a vacuum like a lot of characters. He's trying to be the same Harry, but he's dealing ver realistically with getting old, getting slower, and approaching being forced into retirement (which is where the title of this book comes from)

In addition to Harry remaining a vibrant character, Connelly really hits the mark with the dual stories hes telling here. Both cases were incredibly interesting, and had be guessing the whole way. Connelly has the unique talent to be able to hit you with a twist that makes you gasp, but at the sane time stay incredibly realistic. His shocks aren't out of left field, they are carefully orchestrated and very sensical.

I don't give out many five star ratings, and while I might have some nit picky complaints about how one or two characters reacted in this book - it was too well written and too good a story to give anything but full marks. One of my favorite crime novels yet.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Drop.

08/03/2012 page 295