Kristen's Reviews > Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl

Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl by Harriet Jacobs

Aug 03, 12

Read in August, 2012

A true story written by a woman who lived as a slave in the late 1800's in the south. This book was obviously written at the request of abolitionists who wanted the plight of the slave to be truthfully told. The author often asks the readers to put themselves in the place of the slave and ask how we would have reacted. I like to think that I would have had the courage to stand up for my convictions regardless of the price - although I believe that circumstances definitely change your stance and reactions. I think it would have been hard to bring a child into the world knowing what their life as a slave could be like. The author is smart and is able to discern the good slave owners from the bad. She goes through trials that it's hard to imagine living through, but comes through with even more determination to be truly free. This book makes you think about what freedom really is - and what it was in her time - and even after slavery was outlawed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl.