jD's Reviews > God Save the Queen

God Save the Queen by Kate Locke

Aug 12, 12

bookshelves: 2_audio-book, 2012, 2012_4-stars, fantasy_alt-history, fantasy_detective, fantasy_myths, fantasy_romance
Read from August 03 to 07, 2012

This one was impressive for Steampunk. I really enjoyed the audio production as well especially with the British narrator.

I am not inclined to write a long review as this is not really my favorite fantasy sub-genre. I feel the steampunk aspect needs to be weighed and measured alongside the story out of respect. I can't do that since I pretty much ignored it unless it was important to an actual scene or fight. To be honest, it felt very Urban Fantasy msot of the time. Why did I read a genre I don't especially like -- there are some really good stories and characters that live in that world. I'll chase a good story into nearly any setting.

The cast of characters could have been broader but it worked. The heroine was a blast -- smart and sassy. She has one love interest in this book but I could see that expanding. There are no detailed sex scenes but it doesn't feel YA to me. I loved the alt history with vamps and weres coming about as the result of a virus. I loved the class warfare and the dark elements. Many parts were 5 stars but the mystery ended abruptly and it threw me off for some reason. It's not rushed, it felt odd because there was so much foundation building that I missed when it was time to solve the mystery. I didn't get the goblins-twist so that fell flat for me too.

I will certainly read or listen to the next one or maybe even read it since the writing is so fresh.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read God Save the Queen.