Gavin Breeden's Reviews > Fidelity: What It Means to Be a One-Woman Man

Fidelity by Douglas Wilson

Aug 03, 12

bookshelves: 2012-books, marriage-and-family
Read in August, 2012

I read this because of the OTHER big Doug Wilson internet controversy recently and I liked this one more. I'm thankful that there's a book out there for Christian men that *very* bluntly discusses all things sexual. (Although, I'm sure many would object that Wilson goes too far in his bluntness at times and they're probably right, but Christians do need to be talking about these issues.)

It's a Doug Wilson book, so there's a few weird things here. Again, his view of OT laws leads him to some strange conclusions and he makes some odd exegetical arguments here and there. Also, he apparently believes that polygamy is going to be the next big thing in America and spends a fair amount of time walking through that issue and how the Church should respond (and his conclusion is quite surprising in parts). But since polygamy is typically found in more primitive, patriarchal societies, I don't really see that being in vogue anytime soon in the West.

As far as the recent controversy goes, it centers around some quotes taken from the chapter on rape and I didn't find that the context actually cleared Wilson. He makes some really poor word choices and I think these particular words carry some troubling connotations about sex that actually contradict much of what he says in other parts of the book.

As a pastor this little book will certainly inform how I deal with some of these issues in the future in counseling and conversations, though there are enough quirky things here that I don't think I'd flat out recommend it to all male parishioners.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fidelity.