Rebecca ♥ Kishan & Warner ♥'s Reviews > Overbite

Overbite by Meg Cabot

Apr 01, 13

bookshelves: vampires, romance, paranormal, adult, local-library, reviewed
Recommended for: Twilight Haters
Read from January 14 to 15, 2013

I really enjoyed this, as much as, if not more than, Insatiable. I heard that this book was really bad compared to the first one, but I found the story just as interesting and quickly paced, and the quality to be pretty much identical to Insatiable. The only explanation I can think of for the bad reviews is that people were disappointed by the ending. Well, I loved it. I would have been ok with a different ending. I wasnt against the alternative, but I love how this series decided to be different, and pulled it off.

I am not entirely sure, but I think this series may have been somewhat satirical. I am not great at identifying such things, but it didnt seem to take itself seriously, and the characters' flaws were way too obvious and like caricatures of familiar PNR traits. So, if you find it creepy and unromantic when girls fall for vampires who want to eat them, this book is for you!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Overbite.

Quotes Rebecca ♥ Kishan & Warner ♥ Liked

Meg Cabot
“I do not expect Henrique Mauricio to conform to my standards of behavior," Alaric said. "I expect him not to do things that make me want to pound his face into a bloody pulp. Sadly, every time I meet him he fails to live up to this expectation.”

Meg Cabot
“This resentment you feel toward Father Henrique is another example," Holtzman said. "What did the man ever do to you? Nothing. So he botched that exorcism. It was his first one. He was young. Do you know what I did at my first exorcism?"
"Ran," Alaric said at the same time as his boss.
"Thats exactly right," Holtzman went on. "Its extremely frightening to look into the face of evil for the first time."
"Not," Alaric said, "as frightening as looking into the face of a man who has willing taken a vow of chastity.”

Meg Cabot
“Meena wasn't sure which she found more disturbing: that she'd been hunting her ex-boyfriend's murderous wife with a hair dryer beneath the streets of Manhattan, or that when she opened her eyes after having been knocked unconscious by this person, she realized she'd been rescued by another one of her ex-boyfriends.”

Meg Cabot
“I don't know everything," she said. Her eyes were filling with tears. "If I knew everything, would I have gotten into this mess in the first place? I certainly don't know why you assume I'm going to drop everything and fly off to Antigua with you. I don't even know what I'm doing her. I don't know why we haven't talked in two weeks. And the worst part is, if I do go to Antigua with you, I don't know if I'll ever want to come back. I'm pretty sure I'll want to stay there with you forever." She was crying so hard, she couldn't even see him. "And the fact that I just said that out loud is even scarier to me than vampires.”

Meg Cabot
“These were things she hadn't felt wile being kissed in a long, long time. Exciting things. Especially when he lowered his head to kiss her again, this time on the throat. That's when she felt that her heart might burst from happiness.”

Meg Cabot
“If it weren't for me inviting Meena Harper over for dinner that night, the two of you would never have met, and this whole horrible mess would never have happened..."
She paused dramatically, as if waiting for someone to jump in and say, Oh no, Mary Lou. None of this was you fault.

"But," Mary Lou went on, a little less self-confidently, "if I hadnt then you, Lucien, would just have gone on through eternity never knowing what true love is. And then how would you have felt?"

"Considerably better than I've felt over the course of the past six months, I imagine," he replied.”

01/14/2013 page 51