Jim's Reviews > Tom Swift and His Flying Lab

Aug 03, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: reviewed
Read in May, 1965

I was given Tom Swift and the Race to the Moon, # 12 in the Tom Swift Jr. series, for my eighth birthday, and I ate it up. Got the Asteroid Pirates later on, maybe for my ninth birthday. When someone at a school book sale had the first 10 books or so for sale for like five bucks—aged plain blue covers with their original paper covers long gone—I pounced. Asteroid Pirates was more or less contemporary to me in the early sixties, and even Race to the Moon from 1958 felt contemporary; this first in the series goes back to the early '50s, and I became aware of how long ago that was and how out-of-date some of the concepts already were.
But Tom Swift was my first literary obsession, and so I was game to see how it all started.
Of course there is no Victor Appleton II, the books were written by several people at Grosset & Dunlap. You've got to credit Tom Jr. with some exciting stories, some truly interesting concepts, and for giving I'm sure many people like me their start as science fiction fans.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tom Swift and His Flying Lab.