Roxanne's Reviews > Heartbroken

Heartbroken by Lisa Unger

Aug 03, 12

Read in July, 2012

Would really like to rate 3.5 stars.

This book had a "Nancy Drew" feel to it and that was exciting for me. I can remember the mystery series and how as a young girl I got that suspense "high" out of it.

Heartbroken to me was part mystery, part suspense, and part family drama. It focuses on mother and daughter relationships and the consequences of our actions that stick with us forever.

I would have preferred that the author did not go with the ghostly portion; that part was unnecessary.

I did not warm up to any of the characters and that was very different for me. I will admit that I followed Emily consecutively for a few chapters just because I was so captivated with what was happening to her. How Kate described her mother Birdie is not how I had been imagining her. Birdie was a character that will be very hard to forget. If Lisa Unger's goal was to have the reader really dislike Birdie, she certainly exceeded with me.

The high level action takes place on an Island on a lake in the Adirondacks owned by the Burke family. The pacing of the storyline is excellent.

I did enjoy Heartbroken and plan to read another one of Unger's books.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heartbroken.

Gary I totally agree about the ghost. I think it would have been better without it. Thankfully it did not overwhelm the otherwise fine story.