Jaimee's Reviews > Last Rite

Last Rite by Lisa Desrochers

Aug 03, 12

URRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH This was the book that made me so pissed!!!!!!!! UGHHH!

Well. Don't pay too much attention to that, HOWEVER, this book did rile some things up in me that I didn't know were there.

It's definitely. Luc and Gabe definitely make a spectacular love triangle but the cliche-ness of it upset me. There's evil Lucifer Cain (how original) oh and Gabriel, the angel but not angel (also not original) and they both against their rules by falling in love with Frannie, Luc running from, well, Lucifer and Gabe running from himself. Frannie is a desperately aggravating character. I found myself hating her on more than occasion. She's so impulsive and so "Girl Power" that I just couldn't take it sometimes. Gabe is also extremely frustrating. The "Perverted, Dirty Angel." I found myself getting sick of him whining over his obsession with Frannie. I didn't like him at all.

Then there's Luc. This demon-turned-human-turned-demon-turned-human who is tortured and hurt and finds everything he thought didn't exist in Frannie and just falls so deeply in love with her. He couldn't be more perfect, really. As good as he was and as hard as was trying to be what Frannie needed, I felt like he didn't get enough positive attention in this book. I think Frannie and Gabe really just let him have it. I feel like they were unnecessarily cruel, though Frannie claimed to be in love. I hurt for him. I really did. Am I spoiling? I feel like I'm spoiling.

The story line, while upbeat and relative and as good as the other books, also pissed me off, but in a good way. Aaron was a favorite of mine, who you will see later. But I felt like the overall goal of the book was completely insane. I feel like no matter who you are, doing what these amateurs were trying to do is seemingly impossible. I mean, come on. Really. But they gave it their best shot, and the end left me pretty satisfied, after all. Some sad twists and turns, but a decent ending.

Don't take my ranting about the awfulness of the characters as a reason not to read the book. I mean, all characters are frustrating, right? It went well with the other books in the series (if you read those) and that's really all that matters because I loved those. An excellent end to the whole Demons/Angels thing. I really enjoyed it, overall.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last Rite.