Kirsti's Reviews > She's Come Undone

Nov 21, 08

bookshelves: anger, fiction
Recommended to Kirsti by: (sigh) Way too many people
Recommended for: Oprah Winfrey completists

This caused more controversy than any book my book group read. Half the group loved it, half hated it. I thought it could have easily been 100 pages shorter while telling the same story, and the only character I liked was the bad guy. Also, the symbolism was like getting smacked in the head with a Louisville Slugger.

The HR director where I used to work saw me leaving my copy at the company lending library.

"Didn't you LOVE that book?" she swooned.

"Well, some of my friends did, but to be honest, I didn't like it at all," I said.

She responded in a mild and pleasant tone of voice: "Well, I guess you've never been a fat girl, have you?"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read She's Come Undone.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Maggie I have been and currently am a fat girl who really hated this book. I forced myself to finish it so that I could avoid the "you didn't give it a chance" defense from Lamb Lovers.

Kirsti Mags, I know that you and I both love bad writing, but this was too much.

At the time I read it, I also thought the book was anti-lesbian, but I don't remember enough about the details to make a cogent argument about it.

message 3: by JC (new) - rated it 1 star

JC The funny part is that I think if you've actually ever been fat, you know how ridiculous the book is. The guy has no concept of weight. He acts like the main character is a 350+ pound woman (insofar as what she can and can't do easily, where she has trouble "fitting") but says she's much less.

He acts like lesbians and fat people are automatically disgusting and terrible. Honestly, it's a despicable book. I'm truly sorry and ashamed that it's getting the Oprah attention.

Kirsti And yet my friend who has a master's in rhetoric loved the book, and my highly literate cousin has been known to stay up all night reading Wally Lamb books. Go figure.

fivesunflowers as a lesbian, I didn't take offense to it at all. This book is not a judgment of all women, all lesbians, all fat girls, or all people with mental illness. It is ONE woman's journey and it has much deeper meaning there if you can get over all the other stuff..

Laura The HR Director said that?! Wow. Lucky you don't still work there!

Kirsti Yeah, she was from a different generation.