Nakeesha's Reviews > The Duchess War

The Duchess War by Courtney Milan

Dec 11, 12

bookshelves: historical-romance, favorites, big-girl-shelf
Read from December 08 to 11, 2012

At 70ish% this book had 3.5 stars from me.
Three stars for me entail MCs that I felt compassion for, a plot that had a satisfying ending, pacing that engaged me, and a theme that was fresh and inventive. Minnie and Robert were typical Milan constructs: a witty woman, who was in some way ruined, about to be saved by a man, who for some reason from his past, believes himself incapable of receiving love. I never seem to tire of this construct which is why I inhale Milan's books and stalk her website until new releases come out. In addition to Milan's love-construct, I love how she weaves themes in her writing. Physics and ostriches interweave as a mean-boy tries to 'change his feathers' in Unlocked. Scientist vs fortune-teller with a mix of elephants in Proof by Seduction. Mental illness, spousal abuse and taming a wild horse in Trial by Desire. Love it! Here its chess, healthcare and unions!

Robert is a Duke who was a pawn between his hateful parents as a child; Minnie a commoner who hides her true identity because of a scandalous past. It seems impossible that they could wind up together, but the fates conspire. She's witty and captures his imagination, he bumbles in his attempts at love and affection, and you will root for the HEA. Trust that I'm not spoiling anything when I say that the love story is tied into a nice, pretty bow around 70% and, if you're like me, you'll feel satisfied and ready to close the book. But then I looked at my Kindle and saw 70% and thought: What else could Milan possibly have to write about these two?

And then she pulls out the big guns!

At 80ish% it had 4 stars.
I'm not spoiling anything when I tell you that Robert and Minnie begin enjoying their HEA (after the best debacle of a love scene I've ever read!) and then the shit hits the fan! All Robert has ever wanted was a family to love and be loved by. He's kept this want buried in his being and the way Milan rips it from him I did not see coming. I was torn up about it. I ached for him. That was some damn good writing and plotting there, Milan. There were bits in the beginning of the story that I figured Milan simply threw in there to make the characters' backgrounds interesting -nah unh. She had a point, and she drives it home here.

But then that's not the end!

At the end of the epilogue is had 5 stars.
My first Milan book was The Governess Affair. That's where we meet Robert's father, the detestable Duke of Clermont. Its his actions that brings all the boys, and mothers, of The Brother's Sinister together. You have to read this prequel to truly appreciate what happens this point forward in The Duchess War. I actually applauded!
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Duchess War.

12/10/2012
25.0% "The reason I love Milan books, even when I don't like the plotting & pacing, is cuz she has a knack for examining social issues in a non-preachy, wholly entertaining awe-inspiring way! Healthcare, unions and chess? Who would have come up with that combination and then interweave it to perfection!"

Leslye this is out?? yay!

Leslye Hells yeah! I had a similar reaction! At 70% I was trying to remember what other shoes were left to drop... She played around with the structure and it totally worked!