Jen's Reviews > Skybound

Skybound by Aleksandr Voinov

Dec 01, 12

bookshelves: m-m-romance, cops-detectives-spies-military, favorites, historical-fiction, short-story
Read in August, 2012 — I own a copy

Another great piece by Voinov. I LOVED this story. My only complaint is that it's too short! :-) I could have easily stayed in this world for hundreds of pages, and been perfectly happy.

The writing is so beautifully crafted, flawlessly edited, and well-researched. The characters were intriguing, the plot interesting, and I loved the rarely shared POV of German soldiers.

I am not normally a fan of short stories - I generally prefer the fully developed world of a novel. HOWEVER, that said, this story accomplished something that a truly great painter accomplishes with a single work of art - it gives you enough of a snap shot to lay the foundation of the story, but leaves plenty of room for your imagination to run with it.

As someone who is fascinated with both WWII AND aviation, I can definitely heartily recommend!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Skybound.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

LisaT - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog LisaT131 I love this review. As you said, in keeping with the shorter length of this book, you stayed concise and to the point. I felt that Voinov made an incredibly complete novel into a 44 page short, perfectly. It lacked nothing. Although, I too could stay within this story for much longer. It'll stay with me, forever.

Great review Jen!
:D

message 2: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen Thanks, Lisa! Glad you liked my review. It was a really special story.

LisaT - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog LisaT131 This book deserves WAY more recognition. It might be my fav read all year. Considering the lack of sex, that's saying a lot!

message 4: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen It really does - it's a brilliant short.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Love, love, love this.

message 6: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen Kate wrote: "Love, love, love this."

My BRILLIANT review, or Skybound? ;-)

LOL

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Jen wrote: "Kate wrote: "Love, love, love this."

My BRILLIANT review, or Skybound? ;-)

LOL"

*snicker* Take it however you like. ;-)

message 8: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen Will do. ;-D

Sheri I agree, I would have loved for it to be longer...even a few extra pages, but it's amazing how well it was put together in the brief numbers of pages it is...

message 10: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars