Meg's Reviews > My French Whore

My French Whore by Gene Wilder

Nov 21, 2008

Read in January, 2009

I just finished reading My French Whore by Gene Wilder. Yes, this is the same Gene Wilder from such movies as Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, Young Frankenstein,, and, Blazing Saddles. When I first saw that he had written a novel I was intrigued, he is one of my favorite actors, but not expecting much. Celebrities don't always make good authors; just look at Dee Dee Ramones' attempt at fiction. But I have to say I was not just pleasantly surprised, I was blown away. The book is clear, witty, touching, and a quick read. The ending amazed me, it was very fitting both for the story and for the period. Even the way the story is told, as a notebook kept by Peachy, is interesting and innovative. I would heartily recommend this book.

Set towards the end of World War I, My French Whore stars Paul Peachy, a young railroad employee and amateur actor from Minneapolis, whose marriage has become one-sided. He decides to enlist and is shipped off to France where, after a strange and interesting series of events, he is captured and begins to impersonate one of the enemies most famous spies. (Peachy is the son of German immigrants and speaks fluent German) As the urbane and accomplished Harry Stoller, Peachy enters a new world which includes sumptuous living and plenty of women, specifically Annie Breton who transforms his life forever. (summarized from the book flap)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My French Whore.

06/11/2016 marked as: read