Jim A's Reviews > The Fallen Angel

The Fallen Angel by Daniel Silva

Oct 09, 12

Read from August 03 to 06, 2012

There is no such thing as a bad Daniel Silva Gabriel Allon thriller. Some are just better than others.

It's hard for me to describe the book. All of the usual characters are here, almost like old home week. When I finished the book I had the feeling that I had read the last Allon book by Silva. Using the time markers that Silva has put in the 12 or so Allon novels, Gabriel would be somewhere in his early 60's. In The Fallen Angel, Allon is kinder, more gentle than in previous novels. He doesn't seem to have the same fire he had demonstrated in earlier books. This is not necessarily a bad thing. I firmly believe that an author should 'retire' a character before the readers start doing if for him.

Maybe there is a crisis in Israel's future that will require Allon to come out of retirement and once again do his magic for The Office.

As I didn't read the other reviews of this novel, it is entirely possible that someone else has mentioned the same feelings. With 147 reviews as of this writing, chances are someone else has the same feelings I do about the end of the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fallen Angel.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lewis (last edited Aug 08, 2012 10:49PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lewis Weinstein It would be a real shame to see the end of Gabriel. Sort of like missing dear old Travis McGee. But of course you're right. Everything does (and should) come to an end.

message 2: by Cathy (new) - added it

Cathy DuPont Jim: Great review and I especially liked your first paragraph. And, too, your comment:

"In The Fallen Angel, Allon is kinder, more gentle than in previous novels. He doesn't seem to have the same fire he had demonstrated in earlier books. This is not necessarily a bad thing. I firmly believe that an author should 'retire' a character before the readers start doing if for him." I have used the term 'jumped the shark' meaning something similar but you said it so nicely.

Please let me know if you think I would like this series.

message 3: by Elis (new)

Elis Madison The is no such thing as a bad Daniel Silva Gabriel Allon thriller. Some are just better than others.

I agree, but I would dearly miss Allon.

message 4: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim A Well apparently Daniel Silva is not done with Gabriel. The English Girl is due out in July and Amazon lists it as an Allon novel.

message 5: by Elis (new)

Elis Madison I'm so glad. I really love those books!

David Wickham very well put-there is no such thing as a bad Gabriel Allon book :)