Kate's Reviews > An Everlasting Meal: Cooking with Economy and Grace

An Everlasting Meal by Tamar Adler

Aug 03, 12

bookshelves: foodie

If I could go back in time for just a couple of days, one of the things I'd like to do is sit down with my grandmothers and let them teach me all of those little secrets they knew about getting a meal to turn out just right. Born in the 1880's, both grandmother's knew how to cook before there were such things as degrees on oven dials. They used real ingredients, very few came from a box. What I remember of them cooking from when I was a little girl, their hands moved instinctively. Just a taste would tell them what was missing--what belonged in the pot, and what to keep out. If I could go back in time for just a couple of days, I'd spend a part of those two days in their kitchens--breathing in the aromas of hot fresh donuts, or roast beef. Tamar Adler's book is the closest I will ever come to breathing in those aromas. Reading her book is like sitting down with your grandmother as she explains to you exactly what she's doing and why. Tamar knows those little secrets, and in beautiful prose, she passes them along to you. It takes a masterful writer to make a pot of boiled water into a cauldron of curiosities and wonders, but Tamar can do it. I loved this book. I adored this book. I highly recommend this book. If it doesn't have you dashing into your kitchen, digging through your pantry for those just-right ingredients, nothing will.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Everlasting Meal.