Jennifer's Reviews > The Hound of the Baskervilles

The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle

Aug 03, 12

bookshelves: fiction, classics, bookslut-100-books
Read in June, 2012

(This is not the version that I own, which makes me a little cranky, but I'm moving on.)

After watching the BBC Sherlock rendition of The Hound of the Baskervilles, I had to re-read the original to see what was kept and what was changed. I brought it with me on a road trip to Chicago and ended up reading it all aloud to Andrew in the car.

Some books are pure pleasure to read aloud, and this is one of them. The phrasing is right for speech. The vocabulary is just a slight stretch from one's normal daily repertoire. There is enough variety between quiet moments and passionate ones to support a variety in pitch of voice. Books from this era were almost certainly meant to be sometimes shared aloud by the fireside or in the parlour. (When I was your age, television was called books!) Reading them in the car is close enough to do.

As with many of the Sherlock stories I've read in the past, I remembered the how, but not the who or necessarily the why. It was a pleasure to rediscover, especially alongside someone experiencing the novel at the same time, and reading instead of watching allowed for the sorts of pauses to speculate and exchange theories.

There are other stories I want to revisit as well, in addition to some I've yet to read, in light of my current obsession with BBC Sherlock. As always, there are too many things to read, not enough time to concentrate through the distractions of my house full of boys.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hound of the Baskervilles.