Rebecca's Reviews > The Father Hunt

The Father Hunt by Rex Stout

Aug 03, 12

bookshelves: historical, mystery
Read in August, 2012

22 year old Amy DiNovo's (not sure about the spelling) mother has been killed by a car, and Amy approaches Nero Wolfe through his assistant Archie Goodwin to find out who her father is--and maybe if her mother was murdered. She offers thousands of dollars in cash, which she discovered in her mother's locker at work, along with a note that said the money came from Amy's father; $1000 a month since she was born, but her mother never touched it. Amy knows nothing of her mother's life before her own birth. Archie and Nero investigate.

I had never read a Rex Stout before, but tried it given the limited number of audiobooks available at my local branch library. It didn't do much for me. There was almost no action, no surprises at the end, no peril, etc. Normally I like no peril, but if you're not going to have a twist at the end, then you need something else to make the story interesting and unpredictable. I also didn't care for Archie's almost comically stereotyped hard-boiled detective-speak; I couldn't tell if he was being ironic or serious, since this is an older book and it might be typical of the genre. The fault may also lie with the narrator, who made Archie sound like a B-movie stereotyped detective. Anyway, I probably won't pursue this author's work further.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Father Hunt.