All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > The Prey

Jan 25, 13

bookshelves: 2013-january-hotp, reviewed-by-abigail, earc
Read in January, 2013

Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

In THE HUNT, Andrew Fukuda created a terrifying yet irresistible world where humans are all but extinct. He introduced us to Gene, a teen forced to hide among the very vampires who would devour him if they discovered he was human. In THE PREY, Gene and the small group of humans he helped escape are on the run, following cryptic clues left by Gene’s father in search of The Promised land, the last human outpost in the world.

THE PREY picks up only seconds after THE HUNT ended with Gene and the escaped humans fleeing down the river with a pack of salivating vampires in pursuit. Right away the excitement level is sky high and it stays that way throughout the book. If possible, the world is even more frightening in THE PREY, and this time, it’s not because of the vampires. The Mission, a hidden human village, will rile your blood with it’s vile Elders and barbaric, misogynistic treatment of women. It’s a whole different kind of scary and supremely tragic.

Beyond The Mission, we learn a lot more about Gene’s father, aka The Scientist. We also see the relationship dynamics shift between Gene, Sissy, and Epap in very unexpected but intriguing ways. My absolute favorite thing about THE PREY, however, is the way seemingly insignificant details from the first book were revealed to have monumental significance in the sequel. It showed just how much planning has gone into this series from its inception. There is nothing better for a reader than being able to fully trust an author, and after THE PREY, I have full confidence in Andrew Fukuda and his story.

Sequels are tricky business. So often they fail to evoke the same feelings, recapture the same sense of wonder as the first book. With THE PREY, Andrew Fukuda had a huge task ahead of him with his follow up to the book I described as “violent, scary and compulsively readable with an ending that will leave readers salivating for the sequel.” So what’s the verdict? THE PREY is one of those truly rare, and elusive books that surpasses its predecessor. Everything that made the debut so amazing is amped up. The terror, the outrage, and the adventure. There are no details yet about the next book in The Hunt series, but I’m as ravenous as a starving dusker to get my hands on it.

Sexual Content:
N/A
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prey.