Roxanne Hsu Feldman's Reviews > Twilight

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

Feb 16, 09

bookshelves: youngadult, adult, fantasy
Read in February, 2009

Since I'm only half way through the book and saw the movie and it's not likely I'm going to finish the book until next year, (Must get back to reading 2008 Children's books. Duty calls) I can only say a couple of things about Twilight the book.

1. I get quite annoyed by the "claimed" perfection of Edward. He's that tragic heroic male that so attracts women -- but who actually never existed and will never exist and if all the young women who are reading and loving this series are led to believe that such a person is possible (like when I was a teen and read those romance novels and really believed that those people EXISTed...) then, we'll be having more heartbreaks and unfulfilled quests in the "ideal mates" department. But, I also think that this kind of myths have been with us forever and whether the young women find it in Twilight or in High School Musical (1,2,3) or some false images in rock band members, they (we) are going to dream and eventually wake up from such dreams.

2. I definitely enjoy the vampire lore and the slight twist on the vampire tradition. That's the fantasy element that makes me happy as a reader.

3. I only really feel this way about Bella in the movie: that what a rotten and spoiled young woman she is -- because of her own thirst and hunger for the love of her life, she doesn't seem to have any problem at putting all those around her in danger, INCLUDING her one true love. In the book, since we are seeing events through her eyes and minds, we are more ready to forgive her selfish acts because she is definitely more human and more rounded. (I miss her making dinner for her father which the filmmakers decided, obviously, is not a strong enough thread to keep in the movie, rendering Bella and her father's relationship completely cold and her house a complete empty shell.)

I think that's enough of my views about this half-read book.

-- That was in 2008 and now I finally finished this book:

I am amazed at how many words could be used to write so little plot and no character development and almost no real setting or atmosphere. Such an odd book to be popular! Are all the young girls who read and love this book as shallow and self-centered as Bella? Does that explain its popularity? *sigh*

Not that I cannot see myself in Bella: I can definitely be selfish and admiring physical beauty (like most normal people) -- but when I read, I do want to see someone who is worthy of my admiration due to their abilities to rise above the mere human base desires. Did not quite find that here in this book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Twilight.

11/24/2008 page 203

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Monica Edinger will be VERY interested to get your take on this!

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura Ditto!

message 3: by Anne (new) - added it

Anne I couldn't get past the third chapter.

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer I struggled through all of this one and The Host, but simply couldn't bear to wade through the whole series. The repetitiveness is what got to me...

message 5: by Diane (new)

Diane Thank God I've found some people who feel the same way. I also felt Bella was extremely self-centered; she was obsessed with whether or not Edward liked her and I just got so tired of it! I'm mystified as to its popularity.