Nick's Reviews > The Twenty-Year Death

The Twenty-Year Death by Ariel S. Winter
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Twenty-Year Death.

10/02/2012 page 11
1.0% "in memoriam G.S. with apologies"
10/06/2012 page 245
36.0% "in memoriam R.C. with apologies" 5 comments
10/08/2012 page 293
43.0% ""Gilplaine's office looked like a storage room with a desk stranded in the center. Three of the walls were lined with brown cardboard boxes that had been labeled in a scrawl with the titles of erotic pulp novels: Leslie's Love, I Married a Man's Man, Never Enough, that kind of thing. The musty smell of old cheap paper filled the room, somewhere between a library and a locker room."" 1 comment
10/10/2012 page 461
68.0% "in memoriam J.T. with apologies"
10/11/2012 page 521
77.0% "This book starts out dark and gradually becomes pitch black."
show 8 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mark (new)

Mark The Cloud Atlas of crime

Nick Hopefully better.

message 3: by Mark (new)

Mark Has a damn fine cover, usually the tell-tale of a terrific crime novel!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Nick Anthony wrote: "What did you think about this book over-all? I liked it but kind of thought it could have been more ambitious in having the three books within the book connect on some epic scale."

I think it was already ambitious enough in paying homage to the style of three different crime writers that trying to add ambition on top of ambition by connecting the three novels in some "epic" way would have made the book a bit overblown and might not have succeeded (Cloud Atlas). I like that Winter kept it simple by tying the three together through the writer and his wife.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, I see your point and I agree that the style is ambitious in of itself. It gives me hope for maybe a new school of experimental crime fiction. That would be awesome. I liked the first and third books a lot, but I felt the author and his wife connection throughout all three was a little thin. As in the first and second didn't compliment each other or the third enough to make the two of their characters really tie the whole thing together. And I like the idea of crimes that have impacts over many years in history. Have you read any of James Ellroy's novels.

Nick It was a little bit thin, yes, which is why it is a 4- instead of 5-star. But that the stories themselves were so well written (the last my favorite) I could forgive a little thinness.

Love Ellroy. Need to reread his L.A. Quartet. (Damn B&N for not carrying ANY Ellroy!)

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

The last one was my favorite, too. He got the feeling of a Jim Thompson novel down, pat, but with that neat bit of a twist of having the narrator be educated and kind of literary instead of a redneck.

Ellroy is awesome. I should reread the LA Quartet at some point too. I hear his next epic he is working on will take place in LA again.