Jim's Reviews > Grant

Grant by Mitchell Yockelson

Aug 04, 12

bookshelves: biography-memoir, 2012, presidential-bio-auto-biographies
Read from August 03 to 04, 2012

As part of Thomas Nelson's The Generals series, that are short introductions to well-known and not so well known American Generals, Mitchell Yockelson's recent tome on Ulysses S Grant is a good addition to the series. (A series that is edited by Stephen Mansfield.)

This book is a very sympathetic portrait of Grant and Yockelson that is made clear in his frequent defense of Grant with regard to his (Grant's) drinking. He argues that Grant's problem was not alcoholism but that alcohol's effect on him was quite strong. It is also somewhat an uneven treatment of Grant's life though given the length of book it is impossible to adequately cover both a successful general and President in such a short tome. Much of Yockelson's focus is spent, understandably so, on Grant's service as an Union General during the American Civil war.

What I appreciated about this book is that Yockelson does a good job of providing primarily younger readers (I would say middle school and up) with a readable introduction to this general turned President. And if you are interesting in a short well researched (the bibliography for the book is very good) life of Grant, this would be a good starting point.

I rate this book a 'good' read.

Note: I received a copy of this book from Thomas Nelson's review program, Booksneeze, in exchange for a review of it. I was not required to right a positive review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grant.

08/03/2012 page 103