Courage's Reviews > Some Girls Are

Some Girls Are by Courtney Summers

Aug 03, 12

Read in August, 2012

Such a gem.

This is a book about those high school experiences you wish you could forget, but never will. About those girls who thought they were above it all, who somehow had everything. About those loners you wondered about, who didn't seem to have anyone in the world to care for them.

This book made me curl my toes in discomfort, but in the best way possible.

I found myself bored with this one at first, because I felt the character development was not strong enough. By the end, I was proven wrong, and I wished the book would continue, because there just wasn't enough of it.

What I loved is how absolutely nobody in this book was perfect. Not even Michael. I know authors will typically have the love interest as this knight in shining armor, but Michael was a far cry from those untouchable saviors in fairytales. And I loved it.

They only things that bothered me were the parents and Anna. Regina's parents were just so completely oblivious that I wanted to strangle them through the pages. How could they possibly not know what Anna was going through? They were cast as unforgivably negligent and plain stupid; I felt sorry for them. Also, how could Anna not even doubt Kara's word against Regina? It seems to me that if she were such an evilly brilliant mastermind, she would at least be doubtful of Kara's words, especially given the relationship between the three.

But overall, this was a fantastic read. I needed to be reminded of how high school was for me.. tortuously unforgettable.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Some Girls Are.