Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog's Reviews > Unmaking Hunter Kennedy

Unmaking Hunter Kennedy by Anne Eliot

4.5-4.75 A++ Stars!

Cheekbones and muscles and…are boys allowed to be this beautiful?

I’m a huge fan of this author…like HUGE. After I read Almost, and fell completely in love with the story and the writing, I was going to read anything this author put out. So when I saw this was going to be her next story, I was beyond excited. How could I not? Celebrity boy band singer meets and falls for an adorable, cute and geeky girl. Oh yea, I was all over this on release day :)

Girl was cute with that pink face.
“Would you stop?” She shifted her feet.
He went for honesty again. “I’ll try but, your cheeks! Makes you look like a little gnome.”

There is no doubt that Vere is one shy girl, especially when it comes to her longtime crush, Curtis Wishford. He is her brother’s best friend and has been crushing on him forever. She has the tendency to blush beet red whenever he’s around and goes completely clams up when he tries to talk to her. Not to mention the incident that happened between that left her with quite a reputation. Poor Vere, she just can’t catch a break. Will she ever get over her shyness?

“I’m Hunter Kennedy. Some of this you know already, some you don’t. I’m a guy who was so lost and depressed that I freaked out and tried to hurt myself because I felt so down.”

Hunter Kennedy, a seventeen year old heartthrob, is part of the boy band, GuardeRobe. Even though he has everything, he feels nothing but emptiness and loneliness. The fame, the money, the girls, could not cure him of his depression. He’s got no one to turn to; not even his own mother. One day, Hunter’s depression goes to the extreme and he almost commits suicide. Not knowing what to do, his mother sends him to Colorado to live with his Aunt after he is released from a residential home for treatment. The plan is for Hunter to go incognito, rest and be away from the limelight. He is not a fan of this plan. All he wants is to go back to work with his band, but he feels like he owes his mother for his “stunt.” So off to Colorado he goes.

“I know, of course, you’re a person and all that. But to me, I’m determined to think you’re a fake guy, Dustin McHugh.” ~ Vere

When he reaches Colorado, he meets Vere and her family. They live next door to his Aunt. Vere and her brother, Charlie, are enlisted to help Hunter blend in. Considering Hunter’s high profile persona and extreme good looks, it’s going to be hard to hide him. So Vere helps him become Dustin McHugh, Hunter’s dorky alter ego. Vere does everything she can to conceal Hunter’s assets. Take Hunter and add dorky clothes, a retainer, hat and glasses that darken in the sunlight, plus a lisp, and you’ve got Dustin. He is the anti-Hunter. No one recognizes him. As Dustin, Hunter begins to feel liberated. He no longer has to worry about paparazzi or a horde of screaming girls. He can just be. To top it all off, Vere has designated him as her BGF: Best Guy Friend. For some reason, Vere doesn’t get all weird and stuttery around Hunter. This is wonderful! She can practice being normal around guys with the help of Hunter. They soon become very close friends.

The twisting pain in my chest, or the strange way I feel like I suddenly can’t breathe without you helping me? ~ Hunter (inner monologue)

Hunter has never felt this way about anyone before. Vere and her friendship have meant the world to him. For some reason, making Vere happy makes him happy. He can’t believe that she doesn’t know how wonderful she truly is. She’s sweet, kind, loyal and is truly a beautiful person, inside and out.

The girl can make pie from scratch. And she comes over to hang out with Aunt Nan so they can watch TV and knit? KNIT. She’s actually making me a hat! Who does that kind of granny stuff?
The cutest girl in the world, that’s who.

I just flat out loved Vere. I can totally see myself being friends with her and her BFF, Jenna. As for Hunter, well, he was just an amazing character. I really felt for his character and was so happy he found a friend and kindred spirit in Vere. She completely blindsided him with her sweet and caring persona. With her at his side, he felt like he could do anything. He was able to smile and laugh and just be himself because for once in his life, no one was using him for anything. However, when Vere asks him to help her with winning Curtis’ affection, Hunter begins to feel trapped.

He knew, without a doubt that he wanted her, but it wasn’t his usual understandable, physical kind of want. He wanted what he couldn’t have. He wanted her to be his, as in, his girlfriend. He wanted the right to love her.

Anne Eliot is a fantastic writer. The pace of the story was a little slow in the beginning, but eventually picked up. She really does her best to develop her characters so that the readers can better understand them. The switching of POV between Hunter and Vere were flawless. You can really get into their characters. She makes them so relatable that you have no choice but to love and care for them. Just amazing writing. I will read everything that this author puts out. This is a very clean YA story that I think teens and adults will just love. I just wish there was a little epilogue at the end, but that’s just me wanting more. I’m just greedy that way. Loved it!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unmaking Hunter Kennedy.

10/19/2012
84.0% "Oh, Vere! What have you done? He lays it all out for you and you just broke his heart. How could you? :("
07/10/2016 marked as: read

Alexis *Reality Bites* Can't wait for you review! I still need to read her other book...**smiles sheepishly**

Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog I did an interview with her a week ago and I'm not sure if you have the books, yet, but she's giving Kindle copies from this giveaway. She's such a sweetheart. Just enter a comment to enter ;)

Alexis *Reality Bites* Nice! Thanks Tessamari! :)

Karen I didn't know this was out. Sounds good - I loved Almost too so this one is next on the list to read.

Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog Not as good as Almost, but I loved it nonetheless :) Hope you enjoy!

Alexis *Reality Bites* "BGF"-Best Guy Friend, I like that=) lol!!!
Great review Tessamari! I love alternate POV's nothing like getting inside the guy's head.

Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog Thanks, Alexis! Such an wonderful story. Very clean, but still very good :)

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm so excited to read this book! Love your review, as always! I'm glad to find another Anne Eliot fan. =)

Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog Thanks, Rena! Love Anne Eliot. I'm a huge fangirl when it comes to her stuff. lol. Hope you like this one =)

message 10: by Jolyn (new) - added it

Jolyn Can't wait!!

Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog Jolyn, just an FYI, this is pure YA...alas, no steam :( But I loved it anyway ;)

Lorelle Thanks for your review, I loved this story. I have this stupid smile on my face after finishing it! :D

Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog Lorelle wrote: "Thanks for your review, I loved this story. I have this stupid smile on my face after finishing it! :D"

Me, too! It was such a sweet story. I wish my teenage life contained someone like Hunter or, if you ever read Almost, a boyfriend like Gray Porter. So good!

message 14: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Great review! Just added this to my tbr.

Lorelle I really enjoyed ALMOST too. When I was in HS, I had a lot of fun but, I would have loved someone like Hunter or Gray. I never had a " boyfriend" until I met my hubby in college. Now that would have made a good book! Yeeha! Maybe that is why I love to read YA and MYA books. :D

message 16: by Holly (new) - added it

Holly I just picked this one up Tess, so glad to hear you loved it!

Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog I LOVE this author, Hols. She's the sweetest woman on earth. Have you ever read her book Almost? If not, read that! She dives into serious issues with her characters, but the love story outshines them both. Her books are pure YA, no hanky panky, but I still loved them none the less :) Hope you like!

message 18: by Holly (new) - added it

Holly I have heard that about Almost and it is on my wishlist, I may just have to run out and get it :)