Paula's Reviews > Pushing the Limits

Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry

Aug 06, 12

bookshelves: kobo
Read from August 04 to 06, 2012

What a sweet,sweet book. The love story between Echo and Noah was really endearing. It was sadly rated G (yeah, not even any heavy petting mentioned...BORING!), but what it lacked in sex, it really made up for in the true love department.

The mystery surrounding Echo's trauma was interesting, as was Noah's parents' demise. What I found frustrating was there was no mention of house insurance, life insurance, savings, college funds, a WILL for chrissakes...ANYTHING to support the kids if the parents died (family friends as guardians in the event of their death). As a parent, I find that...preposterous. Their family was not poor - they lived in a similar neighborhood as Echo's family...it seems unlikely that they did not plan like ALL middle class families plan for the 'whatifs' in life...esp. those that don't have obvious family members to help out.

So...that left the premise of this book really contrived to me, since it was a major plot line and frustrating to read. At least they (sort of) addressed Noah not having a photo of his parents (Really...REALLY? Not even family friends took photos at events? Birthday parties? What about Facebook? Nothin?) and not having any grandparents, aunts/uncles/cousins, etc. Again, what I see as contrived silliness to create a scene that's so utterly unrealistic.

Having said all that, everything else in the book was very REAL. The mental illness, the kids at school not being able to handle the scars right along with Echo, the hideousness of the foster care system. All really intense and sad.

I enjoyed how it ended. Not sure I'll read Beth's story...she was a mean bitch - and miserable to boot. I'll probably leave it with this warm and fuzzy ending...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pushing the Limits.

08/04/2012
30.0% "I already know this is a 5 star! Love the alternating POV - makes you connect so well with both main characters so well!" 1 comment

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by AJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ Well that was quick!! LOL. Hope you love it!

Paula Ohhh....I am LOVING it so far! I was a blubbering mess when Noah saw his brother accepting the writing award!!!

message 3: by AJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ SAME!! Those were my first tears - I'm sure you'll have more!

message 4: by Mithrendiel (new) - added it

Mithrendiel Great observations, Paula. I seriously considered reading this book over the weekend, but the sample chapters I read on Amazon didn't quite grab me so I put it off. I appreciate that your review highlights what you enjoyed as well as what was ridiculous about the book. :) It will help me set my expectations at a more realistic level when I do get around to reading it.

message 5: by KatLynne (new) - added it

KatLynne Great review Paula!