Jessi's Reviews > Easy

Oct 15, 2012

bookshelves: romance, new-adult
Read from August 18 to 23, 2012

Originally posted at Otherwhere.Co

This new adult genre? Yep, done, loving it.

Tammara has come up with some whip-smart characters, that I have no problem getting behind, even when they make stupid decisions. Jacqueline, has the brains, but trauma of the emotional and physical kind, can jack with anybody’s logic board. Sure, some of her choices were s-m-r-t, but in the end, she went with her guns and effin’ rocked it.

“Unfortunately, the coughing drew her attention. “Are you dying or something?” she asked, affecting a perfect sneer as I shook my head. “Well, hacking up a lung out in public isn’t all that attractive–just sayin’.”
My face flamed, but then Benji leaned up and spoke around me. “Um, giving half the class an exhaustive summary every Monday morning–in lurid detail–of how much of an alcoholic skank you are? Isn’t all that attractive either. Just sayin’.”

Lucas reminds me in sooooooooo many ways of my husband – minus the emo, and if you ever mention emo to my husband, he will hand you a box of tissues – the tattoos, the sketching, the desperate need to protect. I love it. I love men being men, even if they are damaged. It’s not seen enough. I especially love men who stand up to misogynist asswhipes who shouldn’t be allowed to exist. Bravo.

“Choosing to be with you, isn’t a difficult decision, Jacqueline…It’s easy. Incredibly easy.”

The themes of Easy, aren’t typically what make a good romance. Ever. And that is no different here. There is a string of darkness here through the events of Jacqueline and her friends that may not have been necessary. Drama could have been added other ways without going to that specific place. That being said, there are important lessons here, especially about speaking up.

The chemistry between Lucas and Jacqueline is palpable, you could cut the tension with a gas powered jack hammer. There were moments of “palm to forehead” followed by “Awwww” promptly concluding with “omigod”. Feel all the emotions. Just the way I like it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Easy.