Courtney's Reviews > Ender's Game

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Mar 08, 11

bookshelves: teen-fiction, series, sci-fi-speculative
Read in March, 2011

I wish I had written a review for this the first time I read it. This time around, I'm re-reading for my middle school book group and am slightly concerned that they might not get into the book as much as I had initially thought. But then again, they might love it.
A couple of thoughts while re-reading....
I forgot that Valentine was Demosthenes and that Peter was Locke; each writing the opposite of what one would have expected their characters to gravitate towards. Very interesting, but I'm still trying to figure out whether or not that particular plotline will become more relevant later on in the series. I'll get there someday. Really, I will. Granted, it serves as a bargaining tool in getting Valentine to have her "talk" with Ender before Command School, but I keep feeling like there's got to be more to that storyline.
I had also forgotten about some of the religious elements in the story. That Ender's parents had previously renounced their religions; that most religions were more or less "forbidden". Alai saying "Salaam" and it being reminiscent of his mother's ministrations.
The rest is as I recall. Highly intelligent, occasionally humorous, ultimately epic in scope.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ender's Game.