Jennifer R Ricketts's Reviews > Brunswick

Brunswick by Ann Haines

Aug 28, 12

bookshelves: received-for-review-from-author
Read from August 03 to 22, 2012

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review through the We Love YA Books on Goodreads.

I really enjoyed this story about a young man who ends up in a world he helped create, where if he grows up and stops believing in it, it will be destroyed. I love the idea behind this book; I just wish there had been more time to get to know the characters better and for the world building to have been more detailed. The beginning was confusing for me, but soon afterward I began to understand what was happening.

The characters are definitely likable and smart--I just wanted to know more about them. Some of the dialogue didn't come across as natural and was weak, but overall it wasn't a huge distraction from the story itself. The plot is well planned out, and the character's actions and reactions made sense to me. Even if I disagreed with how a character felt or reacted to an event, I could understand where he or she was coming from. There are serious times as well as humorous ones with a nice balance between the two.

While reading, I felt there were some elements of "Peter Pan," "The Neverending Story," and "The Lord of the Rings" that pleasantly reminded me of my own childhood and how my own imagination has changed as I've grown up. If you like any of the above mentioned books, you will definitely love this book as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brunswick.