Julie's Reviews > By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept

F 50x66
Aug 03, 2012

bookshelves: 2012-books
Read on August 03, 2012

Paulo Coelho is one of my favorite authors, and The Alchemist is one of the most influential books I have ever read. I always enjoyed sharing it with my AP English students and watching them become mesmerized by his work as well.

So, I really enjoyed this love story; it is a beautiful tale of forgiveness, happiness and love restored.

Two of my favorite passages:
"The Other is the one who taught me what I should be like, but not what I am. The Other believes that it is our obligation to spend our entire life thinking about how to get our hands on as much money as possible so that we will not die of hunger when we are old. So we think so much about money and our plans for acquiring it that we discover we are alive only when our days on earth are practically done. And then it's too late.(50)"

"But love is always new. Regardless of whether we love once, twice, or a dozen times in our life, we always face a brand-new situation. Love can consign us to hell or to paradise, but it always takes us somewhere. We simply have to accept it, because it is what nourishes our existence. If we reject it, we die of hunger, because we lack the courage to stretch our a hand and pluck the fruit from the branches of the tree of life. We have to take love where we find it, even if that means hours, days, weeks of disappointment and sadness. The moment we begin to seek love, love begins to seek us. And to save us. (69-70)"
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept.