Magila's Reviews > Necromancing the Stone

Necromancing the Stone by Lish McBride

Oct 19, 12

bookshelves: ya-middle-readers, mature-ya, fantasy, mystery
Read from October 18 to 19, 2012

4.5, rounded up. Because I'm a huge fan of the author and her creativity.

This was a great follow up to Hold Me Closer Necromancer. I'm extremely interested in where the story will go from here. After this installment of the series, a secondary antagonist needs to arise that will keep us all up at night! Good luck, because the promise of a memorable "Campbellian" hero is already built in.

The author introduced so many elements of the fantastic in such a funny, memorable way that you cannot help but laugh. Think gnome names. And their culture. There are so many great and small things that kept a smile on my race as I read.

I caution potential readers there is strong language, and the full range of unpleasant vernacular. It was more classily used than other similar works - you just have to picture the way most teens talk when their parents aren't around. This said, it will detract for some. For his reason, I recommend this book for late teens+. Some could also find the subtext offensive - pre-marital sex, underage drinking, etc. the characters do have healthy relationships though that are actually worthy of emulation. Parent-child. Brother-sister. They are simply not model citizens for chastity and the like.

Overall, this was a book I loved that continued a series I love which started from another book I love and is by an author whose humor I --- love. I thought after reading Hold Me Closer that the story was over, and I'm so glad it wasn't. Also, bravo for packing tons of awesome into 300 pages, and not dragging it out to 500 or 600 pages leaving me wondering who needed to kill, or resurrect, an editor.

Set in Seattle, I keep waiting for a witty reference to shiny vampires on the Olympic Peninsula. Please let them be in the next one (fingers crossed)...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Necromancing the Stone.