Autumn's Reviews > The Loners

The Loners by Lex Thomas

Aug 03, 2012

Read from August 03 to 09, 2012

In Quarantine, the military attempts to destroy the school in an effort to stop the spread of a virus when a test subject from a nearby lab escapes and runs into the school. The virus is harmless to teenagers who are carriers of the virus, but instantly kills adults. The whole school instantly gets placed on lockdown by the military, nobody gets out.

The school divides into to gangs for protection, like The Jocks and The Pretty Ones and The Sluts and The Freaks. These gangs use any means necessary to protect themselves and get the resources they need. This book doesn't pull any punches either. It's dark and violent and goes places that not too many YA books will go. The Sluts get their name for a reason.

I did like this book. I thought it was great change of pace in major disaster/apocalyptic genre. I liked the male main characters for one. The way the kids go so wild was really interesting, it was kinda like Lord of the Flies in a way.

This was the first book in a series, so I will be looking out for the next one. This book does deserve a parental warning. It has some "mature themes" going on throughout the book. Quarantine probably should stay with the 16+ crowd.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Loners.