Carmen's Reviews > Confessions of an Angry Girl

Confessions of an Angry Girl by Louise Rozett

Aug 07, 12

Read from August 03 to 05, 2012

The following review is based on a Netgalley copy the publisher was kind enough to provide for me.

Review (spoilerfree):
Rose Zarelli has it tough. She is 14 and just starting highschool, her father died in Iraq over the summer, her brother left for college, and she doesn’t get along very well with her therapist mother. On top of that, she is steadily growing apart from her best friend, Tracy, who is suddenly more interested in dating a jock, making the cheerleader squad and debating when to best lose her virginity. Rose herself is still reeling from her recent loss and trying to regain her footing in everyday life. She wants to fit in, but not to the point that she is ready to lose her own identity and pretend to be someone she isn’t. Resisting the peer pressure to drink and have sex isn’t easy, and I admired her for how she handled it.

Rose feels very confused and left behind. She isn’t seriously thinking about sex – she hasn’t even figured out kissing yet. I was somewhat surprised at the beginning of the book by how easily embarrassed and quiet Rose was; my expectation from the title was for her to be much more outwardly angry and aggressive (this picks up over the course of the book). However, once she’s had enough and speaks her mind, she’s on a roll and unable to stop, often saying things she knows she shouldn’t even though they are true. What she blurted out often made me laugh, even though it was frequently awkward for her – she is smart and her comments hit the mark.

The book is written in the first person and I found Rose’s voice to be very authentic. She is extremely perceptive in some respects but completely clueless and naïve in others. There were a few instances when she came across as bitchy and whiny, but because she was usually aware of that and also berated herself for it, I didn’t mind (she’s 14, after all). I really enjoyed watching her crush on Jamie Forta, a Junior with a somewhat dubious reputation. I loved their sometimes awkward interactions as they were trying to figure each other out. However, I was a little bothered by the age difference between them, and though I liked Jamie he also remained somewhat elusive during the whole novel.

The problem with her crush? Jamie has a girlfriend. Sort of (it’s never quite cleared up what exactly they are to each other). Regina is a real bitch and instantly jealous of Rose even when Jamie does nothing but speak to her. Her bullying and harassment of Rose really made me despise her. Why Jamie is/was with her in the first place is beyond me. However, even though Regina is horrible, the author avoided the ‘all cheerleaders are evil witches’ cliché by making their leader, Michelle, a genuinely warm-hearted and nice person.

A character I felt really sorry for is Robert, Rose’s best guy friend who’s had a crush on her forever and refuses to get it through his head that she doesn’t like him back. He was a really nice guy and Rose should have treated him better sometimes. However, I was glad that it was clear from the beginning that she didn’t see him as a romantic interest and the love triangle was thus avoided.

Overall I really enjoyed the book; it was a very entertaining, quick read and I liked the mixture of funny, lighthearted scenes and more serious themes. However, there are two minor points of criticism I have to make: some of the minor characters fell a bit flat for me and could have been given more depth. Another thing is that the ending of the book is really abrupt – the plot arc is not quite finished, in my opinion. I know this is the case because of the sequel, but I think the novel would have benefited from an additional chapter or an epilogue. I would recommend Confessions of an Angry Girl to anyone going through highschool or wanting to relive those days of confusing early teenager-dom.

Read my personal (spoilery) thoughts on my blog here: http://shelfspaceneeded.blogspot.ch/2...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Confessions of an Angry Girl.

08/03/2012 page 32