Lizzy Lessard's Reviews > XVI

XVI by Julia Karr

Aug 02, 12

bookshelves: dystopian, reviewed
Read in July, 2012

I had an immense amount of trouble finishing this book. I don’t think the topic was handled well in the story. Apparently, when a girl turns 16 she becomes a sex fiend and it’s okay if she’s raped or whatnot because women are only used for sex. But, I wasn’t too angered by the topic because the writing itself is so blah. I felt so disconnected to all the characters.

The characters themselves were really bland. Nina is the only sane female, in that she cares about things other than sex. All the guys are apparently using only their third leg to think. Ed, the stepfather, was a complete dick and beat up Nina’s mother (who she annoyingly called Ginnie) but that was okay. The whole abuse factor was handled so non-nonchalantly that it made me want to throw the book against the wall. Also, Nina isn’t like other girls until she turns 16 and falls in love, but then its okay that she’s so gaga over boys. Nina’s best friend, Sandy, is so ignorant of what’s going on that I just want to shake her.

And it is ironic that for a book being completely about sex drive, there is no sex. Everything happens off-screen. I just did not like this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read XVI.