Robert Delikat's Reviews > Blackout

Aug 02, 12

did not like it
bookshelves: historical-fiction, scifi
Read in August, 2012

Hugo Award for Best Novel (2011), Nebula Award for Best Novel (2010), Locus Award for Best Science Fiction Novel (2011),

WAIT, STOP, STOP!!! Don’t believe it; I mean yes it is all true about the awards and all but there must be some mistake. There must be some kind of mixup in the name or something. Why? Why, you ask? Well, to put it quite simply: I thought the book sucked. Okay wait a second, maybe that’s too harsh. Maybe it just wasn’t My cup of tea. I could say it was a YA novel (I generally Hate YA novels) but then that would be an insult to young adults or even kids or even someone just learning to read: it would ruin them for life. I might cause some young impressionable mind to believe that this is, based on its awards, the best that writers can do. And that would be a lie.

If I had to pick a narrator, particularly a female narrator / performer to listen to just for the pure enjoyment of listening to her voice, it would have to be Katherine Kellgren. If I had the choice of listening to the voice while visualizing a beautiful face behind it, it would have to be:

image:

(god, I’m in love.)

But even Ms. Kellgren could not save this book.

The story sucked; the characters sucked; the writing sucked and I’m not going to waste another minute on this book and that includes this review. Enter at the peril of wasting precious moments of your life reading this drivel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blackout.