Erik's Reviews > Ten Thousand Saints

Ten Thousand Saints by Eleanor Henderson

Aug 04, 2012

liked it
Read from August 03 to 04, 2012

I devoured this book over three days. Why? The way it traveled back to NYC of the late 80s, when I first moved to the city, was wonderful. It really brought back the sights, smells and people of the city, especially the straight edge scene, something that I've never read about in such an honest and vivid way. I kept watching videos of the bands mentioned to bring the words to life.

Still I was disappointed at how many improbable turns the story took, and how many issues it tackled and how many characters it introduced in an unwieldy way. So much happens to these characters it's absurd, and by the end it was exhausting.

But most disappointing is how little we get to know about the real Johnny, especially as the story progresses. To me his life is the most fascinating, and the one I wanted to know more about. He is such a central figure in most of the book but by the last chapters he has almost completely disappeared as if the author didn't know what to do with him. It's a shame. It actually made me angry and sad that I got through the whole book and this fascinating man's life is left unexplored in such a dismissive way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ten Thousand Saints.