Leigh's Reviews > Short-Straw Bride

Short-Straw Bride by Karen Witemeyer

Aug 02, 12

Karen Witemeyer has become one of my favorite historical romance authors. Her books all have strong characters, a well-developed romance, a healthy dose of humor, and plots that manage to deal with Christian themes realistically and seamlessly. Short Straw Bride is no exception.

We first meet Meri at the age of 10, when the reclusive Travis Archer comes to her rescue and wins a star-struck place in her little girl heart. Twelve years later, Meri has the chance to return the favor. When circumstances conspire against her, Meri has to marry one of the four Archer brothers. Travis draws the short straw and wins her hand, but will he be able to win her heart?

I enjoyed reading this book. It's not particularly weighty or heavy, but it's a well-done, entertaining read. Meri and Travis are nicely developed and I enjoyed seeing the progression of their romance. There's enough action to keep the plot moving, enough laughs to keep it from getting boring, and the theme of risking hurt to open one's heart should provide good fodder for discussion groups or book clubs. The one off note for me was that I thought Travis's reasons for his self-imposed isolation were possibly not as fleshed out as thoroughly as they could have been, but it's a minor drawback to a thoroughly enjoyable book. I'm keeping this one on my shelf to read again sometime I want an escapist read.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Short-Straw Bride.