Dani Morales's Reviews > Measuring Up

Measuring Up by Nyrae Dawn

Aug 10, 12

Read in August, 2012

So obviously I am a major fan of Nyrae Dawn, I swear it’s like I totally have a girl crush! One of the things I love most about her is the topics she tackles to write about. Each issue in every one of her books is something relatable. She drew me in with WABW and WABN, to totally speechless in Freeing Carter, all to build up to Measuring Up. Yes, Nyrae has a new book out! Girls you have to read it, because at one point, even if you don’t admit it, we have all been there. I knew from the moment she gave us a kissy blurb on her blog that I was going to absolutely fall in love and in sync with Annabel.

Annabel Conoway, was teased at school for her weight by everyone but her friend Em. Even her mom indirectly fit into this teasing. She finally decides to do something about it on the sly, not even her best friend knows about it. I mean that’s pretty big, us girls tell our BFFs everything, so you know it was really important for her to actually make it through. Annabel shows up at “Let’s get Physical,” genius name for a gym btw Nyrae, it takes her a few times to actually make it into the gym, but in the process stumbles upon Tegan. She helps him out with his family then walks into the gym to find out the guy she called, gym boy, was her trainer.

Tegan is awesome. He has his own issues to work out, but is able to give Annabel Lee, what he calls her, the, motivation and confidence she needed to work toward her goal. Along the way they end up feeling more for each other than a normal trainer/trainee relationship and Tegan asks Annabel out on a date. I have to admit it was a totally perfect date! OH and the first kiss, fireworks! Of course other things happen but you will have to read that! Like any other love story, there has to be some twist to the story, I mean it can’t always be perfect right? Well during a break, think of it more as a growing experience, Annabel was able to realize she never needed Tegan to stand up, she could do it all on her own. At the same time, Tegan realized that he didn’t have to take care of everyone he loved.

In the end HEA! The most important thing to take from this story, well what I took, is that no matter what YOU can do anything YOU set YOUR mind to. Weight has always been an issue for me, I think this book just gave me the motivation and pep talk I needed to get my booty in gear…Now where is Tegan? Thank you Nyrae for another awesome book! I told you me and Annabel would hit it off!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Measuring Up.